Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Barn used as storage for pesticides goes up in flames

September 1, 2007

NEWINGTON, Conn. --Environmental officials are checking the air quality as firefighters work to control a fire in a barn where pesticides were stored.

Newington fire officials say the blaze broke out in a former chicken coop on a side street near the Berlin Turnpike, releasing pesticide fumes into the air in the dense smoke.
No injuries are reported, but people who live nearby were ordered out of their homes and local roads are closed. Fire crews from several area towns are assisting.

The state Department of Environmental Protection also is conducting air-quality tests in the area.

No comments: